- 500g paella rice
- 1 x spanish onion diced
- 1 x each red and yellow pepper sliced
- 100g French beans topped and tailed
- 200g chestnut mushrooms cut into quarters
- 100g fresh or frozen peas
- 100g fresh or frozen sweetcorn
- 1 pinch saffron (finely chopped or crushed in mortar)
- 2 litres hot vegetable stock (with crushed saffron added)
- 2 x cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 x large frying pan or small paella pan
- 1 x wooden spoon
- 1 x small sharp knife
- 1 x measuring jug
- 1 x kettle
- Prepare all the vegetables. Keep on plates ready to use
- Put paella pan or large frying pan on medium heat and add a tablespoonful of oil.
- Add onions and cook and stir for 5 or so minutes until the onions start going soft.
- Then add in the mushrooms and more oil if necessary and then add the sliced peppers
- Cook for a further 5 minutes stirring constantly and then add the paella rice.
- Make sure all the rice is covered in the liquid in the pan and then add enough hot stock to just cover rice and vegetables.
- Turn heat down to low and add the saffron flavoured stock before the dish goes dry.
- Stir the rice from the outside to the middle moving around the outside of the pan.
- After 25 minutes add the peas and the sweetcorn.
- Keep cooking and stirring and adding stock until rice is soft usually about 40 minutes.